July 27, 2010

Book Review - Magic Bleeds by Ilona Andrews

Another book review by ~Sara

Once again, the newest book in a favorite series lived up to the hype. In this case, I thoroughly enjoyed Magic Bleeds by Ilona Andrews, the latest book in the Kate Daniels series. In short, Kate Daniels lives in an Atlanta where magic and technology shift back and forth and weres, vampires (more tool than actual entity), and the rest of the normal urban fantasy cast live (or possible only survive) in near harmony. She works as a Knight of The Order which assists with magical disturbances. She has spent the last few books solving magical mysteries and trying to survive her heredity. In the latest book, Kate sets out to solve the mystery of weres going loup and strange plagues. In the meantime, she has to deal with her heredity finally catching up with her in a big way and the further development of her relationship with Curran.

I loved this book due to unforgettable characters married to quick action. I didn't have to wait around to see why there were strange plagues, and it didn't take long to figure out how Kate ended up in the middle of the mess. Additionally, Saiman kept up his on-going half courtship/half business pursuit of Kate with somewhat unexpected results. There is an unforgettable scene involving industrial glue and a blueberry doughnut, and I would recommend everyone watch for all the commentary regarding black paint and its apparent comeback. Plus, the attack poodle. . . . Oh the attack poodle. The mad puking and urinating skills. Perfect - absolutely perfect and totally laugh-worthy. I also liked that Kate and Curran's relationship continued to develop. While I have skimmed some reviews that take issue with Kate's immaturity in this area, I found Andrea's explanation on why things are the way they absolute spot on. Suddenly a lot of the things Kate does make total sense - especially when you watch her behavior around Curran. That's about all I can say without giving away too much. Man, that's rough. So, let's just go with I loved this book!

WAIT - I do have one complaint. It is that the book is only 384 pages. I mean I understand the conflict had resolved and that is plenty long enough for a paperback, but I just wanted the book to go on. I wanted more poking into the Jim-Dali relationship. I wanted more Julie and more Derek. I wanted more attack poodle. And you know for sure that I wanted more Curran. . . who wouldn't??? So now I will just have to wait it out for the next book. Of course, the release of Bayou Moon in September (the second book in The Edge series) will help ease the withdrawals. . .I just hope I can make it. Perhaps another support group. . . .



No comments:

Post a Comment


Join Today!

:subscribe to this blog